Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/5] SubmittingPatches: be more explicit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 22:36:54 -0700

"Linus Arver via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Linus Arver <[email-masked]>
>
> Signed-off-by: Linus Arver <[email-masked]>
> ---

If you leave the body of the commit log message empty, can we
at least have a bit more helpful title so that it is clear what we
are being more explicit about?

>  [[base-branch]]
> -=== Decide what to base your work on.
> +=== Decide which branch to base your work on.

Technically speaking, what the user needs to decide here is on top
of what commit to base their work on.  There may not be a suitable
branch anywhere.

But this series will be updating the section even more in the later
steps, so let's read on.

> @@ -317,8 +317,8 @@ Please make sure your patch does not add commented out debugging code,
>  or include any extra files which do not relate to what your patch
>  is trying to achieve. Make sure to review
>  your patch after generating it, to ensure accuracy.  Before
> -sending out, please make sure it cleanly applies to the base you
> -have chosen in the "Decide what to base your work on" section,
> +sending out, please make sure it cleanly applies to the branch you
> +have chosen in the "Decide which branch to base your work on" section,
>  and unless it targets the `master` branch (which is the default),
>  mark your patches as such.