Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/1] surround %s with quotes when failed to lookup commit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 09:11:20 +0900

Teng Long <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Teng Long <[email-masked]>
>
> The output maybe become confused to recognize if the user
> accidentally mistook an extra opening space, like:
>
>    $git commit --fixup=" 6d6360b67e99c2fd82d64619c971fdede98ee74b"
>    fatal: could not lookup commit  6d6360b67e99c2fd82d64619c971fdede98ee74b
>
> and it will be better if we surround the %s specifier with single quotes.

The only remaining hits from

    $ git grep -e '_("[^('\'']%s'

(that is, "find the messages that has %s without a single quote or
an opening parenthesis immediately before it") are found in
builtin/remote.c where this template

	const char *dangling_msg = dry_run
		? _(" %s will become dangling!")
		: _(" %s has become dangling!");

is given to the refs.c::warn_dangling_symrefs() API function to be
used to show refs found by the system to be dangling.  It can be
argued that these are better quoted for consistency, but I tend to
side with the current code, as there is much less risk (than the
cases you fixed in your patch) for ambiguity and confusion there.