Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/4] Makefile: really use and document sha1collisiondetection by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 09:28:55 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

>> diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
>> +ifdef DC_SHA1
>> +$(error the DC_SHA1 flag is no longer used, and has become the default. Adjust your build scripts accordingly)
>> +endif
>
> bikeshedding: Do we really need to penalize (abuse) people merely for
> asking us to do what we're already doing anyhow?

A valid question.

I can understand and very much appreciate [1/4] as a very focused
fix to the problem.  Very small part of this step, namely, make the
DC_SHA1 the default everywhere, is also very much welcome.

Everything else I see in these patches are extra "while we are at
it" that should not exist.  These "while at it" changes tend to
somehow implement more subjective choices that will cause more
discussion and take more review resources.  Not all "white at it"
may be more subjective, but at least in this series, they appear
to be.

They distract us from the core changes and slows us down.  It is OK
to do them as totally unrelated clean-up changes long after the dust
settles, but not entangled with the other more important changes
like these patches.

Thanks.