Subject: Re: [PATCH] chainlint: colorize problem annotations and test delimiters

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:21:26 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> (2) In practice, I found that even after coloring those annotations in
> red, it was still easy for the eye to glide right over them in the
> output without really noticing them. Switching it to bold red helped a
> bit, but my eye still glided over them sometimes. One possible reason
> that the eye was able to glide over them may be because the "?!FOO?!"
> annotations are very short bits of text buried in the much larger and
> textually noisy test body.

Maybe partly because I work with black-ink-on-white-paper terminal
setting, and maybe partly because my color perception is suboptimal,
I learned to use "[diff.color] old = red reverse", because non-bold
red letters do not stand out enough.  Perhaps you may want to try
reverse output to see how well it makes them stand out for you.

I do not think if configurability like "git diff" has is necessary;
it would be overkill.  I personally do not mind more noise "?!"
around the keyword, especially since these are only shown when there
are problems detected.