Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] bitmap-format.txt: fix some formatting issues and include checksum info

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 14:00:37 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Abhradeep Chakraborty via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
> writes:
>
>> There are some issues in the bitmap-format html page.
>
> "First, it does not even exist!" before anything else ;-)
>
>> For example, some
>> nested lists are shown as top-level lists (e.g. [1]- Here
>> BITMAP_OPT_FULL_DAG (0x1) and BITMAP_OPT_HASH_CACHE (0x4) are shown as
>> top-level list). There is also a need of adding info about trailing checksum
>> in the docs.
> ...

No, this is not quite ready for production.

Almost all the "indented" material are shown in fixed-width
typewriter format in the resulting HTML output.

Look how ugly the output from it is.  Not your fault; it is mostly
because when the original text was written, it was not even meant to
be given to AsciiDoc.

  https://twitter.com/jch2355/status/1534276427607986178/photo/1
  https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUrYP2nakAAnRaH?format=png

And as I already said, removal of the blank lines made it harder to
see what is going on in the source, and because the output is pretty
much straight copy of the source in the fixed-font, just like reading
the source in the terminal, the output here is equally hard to read.

  https://twitter.com/jch2355/status/1534277664441511937/photo/1
  https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUrZZXUUsAEmEeT?format=png

If we really want to give it to AsciiDoc, we'd need to reformat it
more extensively, not just tweak it on the surface and making an
equivalent of <pre>...</pre> slightly easier to read, which is what
this patch does.

Thanks.