Subject: Re: [RFC] shell: local x=$1 may need to quote the RHS

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:53:25 -0800

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yeah; bisecting dash with your example script pointed me at cbb71a8
> (eval: Add assignment built-in support again, 2018-05-19), which indeed
> appears in v0.5.11 (and all subsequent versions).
>
> cbb71a8 points at release 0.3.8-15, which predates Git (and a tag
> pointing at it was never created, since it's behind the big "initial
> import" commit at the beginning of dash.git's history). But skimming
> ChangeLog.O, we see:
>
>     * Removed assignment builtins since it is at best undefined by the
>       SuS and also can't be implemented consistently.
>
> So this probably didn't work at all between that 0.3.8-15 up until v0.5.11.
>
>> The manual page for recent dash may need an update.
>> Can you perhaps file a bug on their documentation?
>
> Yes, I agree that dash.1 is out-of-date after cbb71a8. Konstantin:
> please feel free to use any of this if it's helpful to you in creating a
> bug report for the dash folks.

I doubt that we can write off dash v0.5.10 as too old to matter, as
the tagger date seems to be mid 2020 at 

https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash/+/refs/tags/v0.5.11

So here is a bit wider "grep" output, looking for

$ git grep '^[ 	]*local[	 ].*=' \*.sh

to reject _any_ assignment on the same line as "local", but I
manually excluded the ones that are not meant to be run with dash.
I obviously excluded the one in t0000 (try_local_xy) that is a
weather-balloon for this exact issue.

According to this thread, these would not work correctly on dash
older than 0.5.11 and needs fixing by splitting declaration of
variables as locals and assignment of their initial values.

contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh:	local indent=$(($indent + 1))
contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh:	local indent=$(($indent + 1))
contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh:	local indent=$(($indent + 1))
contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh:	local grep_format="^git-subtree-dir: $dir/*\$"
contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh:	local rev="$1"
contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh:	local parents="$2"
contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh:	local indent=$(($indent + 1))
t/lib-parallel-checkout.sh:	local expected_workers=$1 &&
t/lib-parallel-checkout.sh:	local trace_file=trace-test-checkout-workers &&
t/lib-parallel-checkout.sh:	local workers="$(grep "child_start\[..*\] git checkout--worker" "$trace_file" | wc -l)" &&
t/t0021-conversion.sh:		local expect_progress=N &&
t/t0021-conversion.sh:		local expect_progress=
t/t3435-rebase-gpg-sign.sh:	local must_fail= will=will fake_editor=
t/t3514-cherry-pick-revert-gpg.sh:	local must_fail= will=will fake_editor=
t/t4011-diff-symlink.sh:	local oid=$(printf "%s" "$1" | git hash-object --stdin) &&
t/t4011-diff-symlink.sh:	local oid=$(git hash-object "$1") &&
t/t4210-log-i18n.sh:	local engine=$1
t/t4210-log-i18n.sh:	local pattern=$1
t/t6006-rev-list-format.sh:	local args=
t/t6006-rev-list-format.sh:	local args=
t/t9902-completion.sh:	local IFS=$'\n'
t/t9902-completion.sh:	local cur="$1" &&
t/t9902-completion.sh:	local cur="$1" &&
t/t9902-completion.sh:	local cur="$1" expected="$2"
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local op='=' wrong_result=different
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local test_cmp_a= test_cmp_b=
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local stdin_for_diff=
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local algo="${test_hash_algo}" &&
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local var="test_oid_${algo}_$1" &&
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local basename=${1#??}
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local var=$1 port
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local negate=
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local expr=$(printf '"%s",' "$@")
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local negate=
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local expr=$(printf '"%s".*' "$@")
t/test-lib-functions.sh:	local expect_exit=0
t/test-lib.sh:	local opt="$1"
t/test-lib.sh:	local bail_out="Bail out! "
t/test-lib.sh:	local message="$1"