Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2022, #03; Thu, 13)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:15:02 -0800

David Aguilar <[email-masked]> writes:

> I ran into the c99 test balloon. I get the (expected?) c99 build
> errors and an uncompress2 build error with RHEL7.9's stock gcc 4.8.5.
>
> Are we dropping support for RHEL7.9?

No.  Our expectation is that those who care about various distros
and platforms supply patches like ...

> Using NO_UNCOMPRESS2=YesPlease and CFLAGS += -std=c99 in config.mak

... this, but not locallly but to config.mak.uname, to help the
users and builders on their favorite systems.  It is better done
sooner rather than later.

> works but I'm not sure if we actually expect users to deal with those
> details themselves.

Users would not have to, as long as somebody else on the list uses
the smea system as theirs cares enough to supply such patches to
config.mak.uname.

> Sorry for being out of the loop on the plan for older toolchains, but
> I wasn't sure if we should be expecting a patch that configures the
> default flags so that things build out of the box again or if this is
> considered the new status quo and we're okay regressing?

Obviously the former.  This is a team effort and everybody who finds
new issues is very appreciated to chip in.