Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 3/3] test-lib: make BAIL_OUT() work in tests and prereq

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:38:08 -0800

Fabian Stelzer <[email-masked]> writes:

>>I was expecting something along the lines of ...
>>
>># What is written by tests to their FD #1 and #2 are sent to
>># different places depending on the test mode (e.g. /dev/null in
>># non-verbose mode, piped to tee with --tee option, etc.)  Original
>># FD #1 and #2 are saved away to #5 and #7, so that test framework
>># can use them to send the output to these low FDs before the
>># mode-specific redirection.
>>
>>... but this only talks about the output side.  The final version
>>needs to mention the input side, too.
>>
>
> I like to use the term stdin/err/out since that is what i would grep for
> when trying to find out more about the test i/o behaviour.

I do not mind phrasing "original FD #1" as "original standard
output" at all.  I just wanted to make sure it is clear to readers
whose FD #1 and FD #5 we are talking about. In other words, the
readers should get a clear understanding of where they are writing
to, when the code they write in test_expect_success block outputs to
FD #1, and what the code needs to do if it wants to always show
something to the original standard output stream.