Subject: Re: Git submodule remove

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 13:46:45 -0700

"Kalyan Sriram" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So "git rm" seems to be doing exactly what "git submodule rm" should
>> be doing, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. So it looks like there
> isn't any work to be done here after all?
>
> What are your thoughts about aliasing git submodule rm to git rm? 

It is unfortunate that "git rm" learned these "extra" things that
are integral part of "submodule removal" if you believe that the way
"submodules" are handled in the current "git submodule"-style design
is the only thing all Git users must follow.

Unless we plan to eventually make "git rm" unlearn these hardcoded
'git submodule'-way actions it does (like editing the .gitmodules
file) and move them to "git submodule rm", I do not think it is
worth the engineering effort to add an alias so that "git submodule
rm" would be a synonym to the current "git rm".

Thanks.