Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 12/34] fsmonitor-fs-listen-macos: stub in backend for MacOS

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:25:01 -0700

Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure that there is a "correct" answer here, but for the sake
> of harmony, in V4 I'll set this to "darwin" and update the name of
> the backend driver source file to match.  So that we are consistently
> using 1 term throughout "Makefile" and "config.mak.uname".
>
> 	ifeq ($(uname_S),Darwin)
> 	...
> 		FSMONITOR_DAEMON_BACKEND = darwin
> 	endif
> ...

I do not think it would help "harmony" to change the name, but any
one of 'darwin', 'macos' and 'osx' would be fine.

It was irritating to see a simple "why is this particular name
chosen?" answered with such a hostility, when even a "we have no
deep reasoning behind the choice of the name. It is only seen by
developers in names of the source files, and it does not make much
difference" would have been sufficient.  I somehow view it more
problematic.

I guess the blame goes both ways, though.  We all have worked with
each other long enough to know which of your recipients are prone to
go overly defensive when asked questions, and we should know that it
would help to prepend "I am just being curious but..." to your
questions whose answers do not make a huge difference at the end
either way (or not asking such questions at all).

Thanks.