Subject: Re: [PATCH] [GSOC] cherry-pick: fix bug when used with GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 14:25:43 -0700

"ZheNing Hu via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]>
>
> If we set the value of the environment variable GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP
> when using `git cherry-pick`, CHERRY_PICK_HEAD will be deleted, then
> we will get an error when we try to use `git cherry-pick --continue`
> or other cherr-pick command.

I think that the GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP is an implemention detail for
various forms of rebase to use cherry-pick as a backend and not for
use by end users.  

I strongly suspect that the right solution for the breakage is to
unsetenv(GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP) in cmd_cherry_pick() without touching
sequencer.c at all.

It _is_ ugly that a helper that is responsible for emitting an
advise message also makes a decision whether the pseudo-ref gets
deleted or not, but a fix to that problem should be done byy making
the logic for the decision less complex, not more.

So, I am not enthused to see this change.