Subject: Re: Is the sha256 object format experimental or not?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 06:03:23 +0900

[email-masked] writes:

> I think Git should externalize the calculation of object digests just
> like it externalizes the calcualtion of object digital signatures.

The hashing algorithms used to generate object names has
requirements fundamentally different from that of digital
signatures.  I strongly suspect that that fact would change the
equation when you rethink what you said above.

We can "upgrade" digital signature algorithms fairly easily---nobody
would complain if you suddenly choose different signing algorithm
over a blob of data, as long as all project participants are aware
(and self-describing datastream helps here) and are capable of
grokking the new algorithm we are adopting.  But because object
names are used by one object to refer to another, and most
importantly, we do not want a single object to have multiple names,
we cannot afford to introduce a new hashing algorithm every time we
feel like it.  In other words, diversity of object naming algorithms
is to be avoided as much as possible, while diversity of signature
algorithms is naturally expected.