Subject: Re: Extra blank lines in "git status" output have been reduced

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 12:38:42 -0700

Pete Boere <[email-masked]> writes:

> With the release of v2.23 I have noticed from the commit:
> 7b098429355bb3271f9ffdf73b97f2ef82794fea
> ...
> Is there any chance of adding them back? The changed layout has been
> throwing me off ever since upgrading.

Sorry, but it is way too late to complain, generally after a change
hits a release, and especially after it got buried under 8 new major
releases.  Unless a change was an unintended side-effect that we did
not mean to make, in which case we would likely to fix it as a bug.

And the change in question b2f5171e (status: remove the empty line
after hints, 2019-06-04) quite deliberately targets at removing
these extra lines [*], so no, I do not think it is reasonable to
expect reverting that commit that is more than a year old.

You may want to join the list discussion and stop whatever UI change
you find undesirable before it materializes next time.

[Reference]

commit b2f5171ecc2feb4192acd80f5a6b05c06e099e97
Author: John Lin <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Jun 4 07:02:21 2019 -0700

    status: remove the empty line after hints
    
    Before this patch, there is inconsistency between the status
    messages with hints and the ones without hints: there is an
    empty line between the title and the file list if hints are
    presented, but there isn't one if there are no hints.
    
    This patch remove the inconsistency by removing the empty
    lines even if hints are presented.