Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/2] difftool.c: learn a new way start at specified file

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 10:56:29 -0800

ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Denton Liu <[email-masked]> 于2021年2月17日周三 下午7:14写道：
>>
>> Hi ZheNing,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:12:10PM +0800, ZheNing Hu wrote:
>> > Oh, I am sorry.
>> > Then I only need to squash the two commit, right?
>>
>> I've never used GGG before but I suspect that in your GitHub PR, you
>> need to set the PR base to 'master' instead of 'jc/diffcore-rotate'.
>>
>> CCing the creator of GGG, please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> -Denton

> Hi Denton Liu,
> You mean I should cherry-pick Junio's patch to my topic branch, right?

Thanks, Denton, for helping.

ZheNing, the end result we want to see on the list is just a single
patch, your 2/2 alone, that says "this patch depends on the
diffcore-rotate topic" _under_ its "---" three-dash lines (where
"meta" comments on the patch to explain how it fits the rest of the
world, etc.).  As a single patch "topic", there won't be even 1/1
marking, i.e. something like:

    Subject: [PATCH v6] difftool.c: learn a new way start at specified file
    From: ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]>

    `git difftool` only allow us to ...
    ...
    Teach the command an option '--skip-to=<path>' to allow the
    user to say that diffs for earlier paths are not interesting
    (because they were already seen in an earlier session) and
    start this session with the named path.

    Signed-off-by: ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]>
    ---

     * An earlier round tried to implement the skipping all in the
       GIT_EXTERNAL_DIFF, but this round takes advantage of the new
       "diff --skip-to=<path>" feature implemented by gitster
       (therefore, the patch depends on that topic).

     Documentation/git-difftool.txt | 10 ++++++++++
     t/t7800-difftool.sh            | 30 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
     2 files changed, 40 insertions(+)

    ... patch here ...

I do not know how to achieve that end result with GGG and I do not
know if GGG allows its users to do so easily, though.

Thanks.