Subject: Re: [PATCH] user-manual: add addition gitweb information

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:19:27 -0800

"Stephen P. Smith" <[email-masked]> writes:

>  The gitweb cgi script provides users an easy way to browse your
> -project's files and history without having to install Git; see the file
> -gitweb/INSTALL in the Git source tree for instructions on setting it up.
> +project's files and history without having to install Git. The script
> +enables the user to browse the repository revisions, file contents and
> +logs. Features like RSS/Atom feeds and blame/annotation details may
> +optionally be enabled.

Isn't "browse the revisions, file contents and logs" saying the same
thing as "browse your project's files and history"?  Mention of the
additional features in the last sentence is a very good thing to
have here.

> +The linkgit:git-instaweb[1] command provides an simple way to start
> +browsing the repository.

s/an simple/a simple/;

"... a simple way to start browsing the repository using gitweb",
perhaps?  What's notable about "instaweb" is that it talks with an
on-demand instance of "gitweb" and that is the only reason why we
may want to mention it together with "gitweb".  There are other
repository browsers (like "tig") that do not talk with a local
"gitweb", and we are not intersted in mentioning them all here.

> The defualt server when using instaweb is
> +lighttpd.

s/defualt/default/;

> +See the file gitweb/INSTALL in the Git source tree and
> +linkgit:gitweb[1] for instructions on details setting up a permament
> +installation with a CGI or Perl capable server.
>  
>  [[sharing-development-examples]]
>  Examples
> @@ -4651,8 +4661,6 @@ documentation.
>  Add a section on working with other version control systems, including
>  CVS, Subversion, and just imports of series of release tarballs.
>  
> -More details on gitweb?
> -
>  Write a chapter on using plumbing and writing scripts.
>  
>  Alternates, clone -reference, etc.

Other than that, looks good to me.

Thanks.