Subject: What's cooking in git.git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 15:55:23 -0700

This is still a draft but only to show the highlights on new topics.

* bb/remote-get-url (2015-08-05) 1 commit
 - remote: add get-url subcommand

 "git remote" learned "get-url" subcommand to show the URL for a
 given remote name used for fetching and pushing.

 Expecting a reroll.

* dt/untracked-subdir (2015-08-05) 2 commits
 - DONTMERGE: Waiting for an Ack from Duy
 - untracked-cache: fix subdirectory handling
 (this branch uses dt/untracked-sparse.)

 This seems to break some tests.

* cb/open-noatime-clear-errno (2015-08-05) 1 commit
 - git_open_noatime: return with errno=0 on success

 Breaks build; need to tweak.

* jk/guess-repo-name-regression-fix (2015-08-05) 2 commits
 - clone: use computed length in guess_dir_name
 - clone: add tests for output directory
 (this branch is used by ps/guess-repo-name-at-root.)

 "git clone $URL" in recent releases of Git contains a regression in
 the code that invents a new repository name incorrectly based on
 the $URL.  This has been corrected.

 May need some tests from SQUASH??? on ps/guess-repo-name-at-root
 squashed into this, but otherwise looks good.

* ps/guess-repo-name-at-root (2015-08-05) 4 commits
 - SQUASH???
 - clone: abort if no dir name could be guessed
 - clone: do not use port number as dir name
 - clone: do not include authentication data in guessed dir
 (this branch uses jk/guess-repo-name-regression-fix.)

 "git clone $URL", when cloning from a site whose sole purpose is to
 host a single repository (hence, no path after <scheme>://<site>/),
 tried to used the site name as the new repository name, but did
 not remove username or password when <site> part was of the form
 <user>@<pass>:<host>.  The code is taught to redact these.

* jk/notes-merge-config (2015-08-05) 4 commits
 - SQUASH???
 - notes: add notes.merge option to select default strategy
 - notes: add tests for --commit/--abort/--strategy exclusivity
 - notes: document cat_sort_uniq rewriteMode

 "git notes merge" can be told with "--strategy=<how>" option how to
 automatically handle conflicts; this can now be configured by
 setting notes.merge configuration variable.

 The last step to add more specific notes.$ref.merge looked
 questionable.

 Waiting for reroll.

* mk/submodule-gitdir-path (2015-08-05) 2 commits
 - path: implement common_dir handling in git_path_submodule()
 - submodule refactor: use git_path_submodule() in add_submodule_odb()

 The submodule code has been taught to work better with separate
 work trees created via "git worktree add".

* mm/pull-upload-pack (2015-07-30) 1 commit
 - pull.sh: quote $upload_pack when passing it to git-fetch

 "git pull" in recent releases of Git has a regression in the code
 that allows custom path to the --upload-pack=<program>.  This has
 been corrected.

 Will merge to 'maint'.

 This should have already become irrelevant in 'master' with "git
 pull" getting rewritten in C.

* ps/t1509-chroot-test-fixup (2015-08-05) 2 commits
 - tests: fix cleanup after tests in t1509-root-worktree
 - tests: fix broken && chains in t1509-root-worktree

 t1509 test that requires a dedicated VM environment had some
 bitrot, which has been corrected.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* pt/am-builtin-options (2015-08-05) 4 commits
 - am: let --signoff override --no-signoff
 - am: let command-line options override saved options
 - squash! test_terminal: redirect child process' stdin to a pty
 - test_terminal: redirect child process' stdin to a pty
 (this branch uses pt/am-builtin.)

 After "git am --opt1" stops, running "git am --opt2" pays attention
 to "--opt2" only for the patch that caused the original invocation
 to stop.

* sb/remove-get-pathspec (2015-08-03) 1 commit
 - builtin/mv: remove get_pathspec()

 Expecting a reroll ($gmane/275224).

* sb/submodule-helper (2015-08-05) 1 commit
 - submodule: implement `module_list` as a builtin helper

 The beginning of "git submodule" rewritten in C.

* tb/complete-rebase-i-edit-todo (2015-08-05) 1 commit
 - completion: offer '--edit-todo' during interactive rebase

 Comments?

* jk/negative-hiderefs (2015-07-28) 2 commits
 - refs: support negative transfer.hideRefs
 - docs/config.txt: reorder hideRefs config

 Allow negative !ref entry in multi-value transfer.hideRefs
 configuration to say "don't hide this one".

 An update to test coming?