Subject: Re: [PATCH] docs: Clarify what git-rebase's "--preserve-merges" does

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 13:55:29 -0700

Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 	Instead of flattening the history by replaying each
>> 	non-merge commit to be rebased, preserve the shape of the
>> 	rebased history by recreating merge commits as well.
>>
>> or something along that line, perhaps?
>
> Hm, I'm not sure about the "as well" here. Non-merge commits basically
> are just picked, not recreated in the same sense as merge
> commits. I'll come up with another proposal.

OK.  I do not see qualitative difference between picking a non-merge
and picking a merge; they are both being replayed and it is not like
the machiery is trying to preserve an evil merge.  Having said that,
I do not have a strong feeling either way between keeping and
dropping that "as well".  I threw it in there only to contrast the
preserve mode (where merges are also picked) with the normal mode
(where merges are not picked).