Subject: Re: [PATCH] merge-recursive.c: Fix case-changing merge bug

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 12:46:13 -0700

David Turner <[email-masked]> writes:

> Would you prefer that I add it to t6022-merge-rename.sh?  Or I could
> add it to t7062-wtstatus-ignorecase.sh and rename that file to
> t7062-ignorecase.sh.  

If I had only these two choices, t6022 would be it, as 6xxx series
is where we have other tests for merge-recursive.

I actually do not have a problem with adding a new file in t6xxx
series as you did in this patch, if a longer term direction is to
add more cases to it to make sure various paths that are only
different in their cases (not just <TC, TC, tc> combination where
one side renames, but things like <tc, TC TC> combination where both
sides rename, etc.) are handled correctly during a merge.

Thanks.

By the way, I see "touch" used to create a new file in the test,
like this:

+	touch foo &&
+	git add foo &&

Please don't.  Instead, do it perhaps like this:

	>foo &&
        git add foo &&

The primary purpose to use "touch" is to update a file's timestamp,
and using it to create a file is misleading to readers.