Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 ] commit -v: strip diffs and submodule shortlogs from the commit message

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:31:51 -0800

Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> diff --git a/wt-status.h b/wt-status.h
> index 6c29e6f..cd2709f 100644
> --- a/wt-status.h
> +++ b/wt-status.h
> @@ -91,6 +91,8 @@ struct wt_status_state {
>  	unsigned char cherry_pick_head_sha1[20];
>  };
>
> +const char wt_status_diff_divider[];

This gives me:

./wt-status.h:94:12: error: array 'wt_status_diff_divider' assumed to have one element [-Werror]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

which is a bit unfortunate.

Regardless of that, from the API design standpoint, I think it may
be much better not to expose this particular implementation element
(i.e. the array) to the caller, but instead to export a helper
function that takes a pointer to a piece of memory and let callers
ask an "I have this line---is it the status cut mark?" question.