Subject: Re: git grep: search whole tree by default?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 11:52:06 -0700

Jed Brown <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I suspect that it would be too late for 2.0 we want to do sometime
>> early next year, though.
>
> How would you manage transition from the current behavior?  Warning
> people to explicitly use "." or ":/" during some interim period sounds
> worse than just switching the default behavior.

"How would I"?

You're asking that question only because you omitted too much from
the quote ;-)

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In summary: changing is painful. The case of "git add" was really bad,
> since the same command had different behavior depending on the options
> given, so it was clearly worth the pain. In the case of "git grep", the
> current behavior is not _that_ bad, so nobody bothered to do the change.
>
> (by "do the change", I mean propose a migration plan, convince people
> that it is good, ...)

I agree that it is up to those who really want to switch the
default.