Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] commit-reach: deduplicate queue entries in paint_down_to_common

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2026 08:40:17 +0900

"Kristofer Karlsson via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> diff --git a/commit-reach.c b/commit-reach.c
> index d3a9b3ed6f..c16d4b061c 100644
> --- a/commit-reach.c
> +++ b/commit-reach.c
> @@ -17,8 +17,9 @@
>  #define PARENT2		(1u<<17)
>  #define STALE		(1u<<18)
>  #define RESULT		(1u<<19)
> +#define ENQUEUED	(1u<<20)
>  
> -static const unsigned all_flags = (PARENT1 | PARENT2 | STALE | RESULT);
> +static const unsigned all_flags = (PARENT1 | PARENT2 | STALE | RESULT | ENQUEUED);
> ...
> diff --git a/object.h b/object.h
> index d814647ebe..05cbf728e9 100644
> --- a/object.h
> +++ b/object.h
> @@ -74,7 +74,7 @@ void object_array_init(struct object_array *array);
>   * bundle.c:                                        16
>   * http-push.c:                          11-----14
>   * commit-graph.c:                                15
> - * commit-reach.c:                                  16-----19
> + * commit-reach.c:                                  16-------20
>   * builtin/last-modified.c:                         1617
>   * sha1-name.c:                                              20
>   * list-objects-filter.c:                                      21

Not directly the fault of this series, but we'd need to audit and
update this table of bit assignment to match more recent reality.

For example, there no longer exists sha1-name.c but the table claims
that bit 20 is in use for its own purpose, and it being stale makes
it harder to audit and ensure that this new use would not crash with
these existing uses (note. there are other uses of bit 20 in other
subsystems).

FWIW, object-name.c, which was formerly known as sha1-name.c, uses
the bit 20 as ONELINE_SEEN bit, which is used to turn textual object
names like :/string (i.e., commit with that string in its message)
into raw object name, and bit 20 is cleared from all the objects
involved in the search before the helper function returns.
Presumably, once commit-reach.c starts queueing commits and reuses
this bit for its own purpose, we will never try to parse a textual
commit object name to clobber what we thought is ENQUEUED bit,
breaking the code introduced here, so we are probably safe against
its use.

I didn't check all other uses of bit 20, though.