Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/9] Documentation/git-range-diff: add missing notes options in synopsis

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2026 09:28:59 +0900

Siddh Raman Pant <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, May 20 2026 at 05:17:51 +0530, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> This has nothing to do with "external notes" topic, no?
>
> Yeah, but since I added the command line flag I found it doesn't
> mention the existing flags.
>
> Fixing it in the "external notes" commit would be bad, so I put it
> before that, since it also then provides a logical place to add new
> flags.

What I meant was that it would have been better as a standalone
patch that is unrelated to the (now) 8-patch topic for the external
notes.  That way, it can move faster without waiting for the rest.

Unless this patch has complex semantic or textual conflicts that
makes it easier to manage together with the external notes series,
that is.  I think adding [--notes=...] to one existing line (this
patch) and adding a new line with [--[no-]external] on it (the main
part of the topic) can be done in parallel and it is not too much to
ask for the integrator to merge them on the receiving end.

Thanks.