Subject: Re: [PATCH] codeql: bump actions/cache from 4 to 5

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2026 11:21:29 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
> writes:
>
>> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Bumps [actions/cache](https://github.com/actions/cache) from 4 to 5.
>> - [Release notes](https://github.com/actions/cache/releases)
>> - [Changelog](https://github.com/actions/cache/blob/main/RELEASES.md)
>> - [Commits](https://github.com/actions/cache/compare/v4...v5)
>>
>> ---
>>     codeql: bump actions/cache from 4 to 5
>>     
>>     Just a regular GitHub Actions bump
>>
>> Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2086%2Fgit-for-windows%2Fdependabot%2Fgithub_actions%2Factions%2Fcache-5-v1
>> Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2086/git-for-windows/dependabot/github_actions/actions/cache-5-v1
>> Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2086
>>
>> updated-dependencies:
>> - dependency-name: actions/cache
>>   dependency-version: '5'
>>   dependency-type: direct:production
>>   update-type: version-update:semver-major
>> ...
>>
>> Originally-authored-by: dependabot[bot] <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>
> You should not need to be reminded on how our log messages should
> look like.  Also your sign-off must come before the three-dash line.
>
> Thanks.

A tangent, but I probably should mention that I didn't even notice
the last time we got identically malformatted patch submission in
October,

<2443[email-masked]>

which resulted in 63541ed9 (build(deps): bump actions/checkout from
4 to 5, 2025-10-16) that you meant to sign off but ended up
committed without one due to the premature three-dash line.

It seems that GitHub Actions started complaining about use of
Node.js 20 and I was wondering why only one job uses
actions/checkout@v4, and it turns out that it is a semantic mismerge
between e75cd059 (ci: check formatting of our Rust code, 2025-10-15)
that added a new use of actions/checkout@v4 that happened very close
to another change 63541ed9 (build(deps): bump actions/checkout from
4 to 5, 2025-10-16) that updated all uses of actions/checkout@v4 to
use actions/checkout@v5.