Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] Enable Rust by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 13:23:43 -0700

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2026-04-10 at 13:02:13, Derrick Stolee wrote:
>> I'm glad you're remembering to help us follow through on this promise.
>> 
>> However, I'm worried that we shouldn't do this change during the rc
>> window for 2.54.0. Perhaps we could get a small patch that updates the
>> docs to say "we really mean 2.55.0" that lands in the 2.54.0 release,
>> and then we merge the requirements for the build in the first batch
>> after the release.
>>
>> This would give us a full release cycle to simmer with the requirement
>> instead of slipping it in for the last rc.
>
> This was actually sent out just before rc0, but Patrick requested some
> changes in v1.  (I forgot to thread it to the previous version,
> unfortunately.)  I would like to have it in 2.54 if we can because I
> suspect 2.55 will be the last release before 3.0, so that doesn't give
> much time for people to update and adjust if there are problems.

Huh?  I actually was hoping that we would tag 2.95 when everybody
feels that 3.0 is on the horizon, and if we are lucky jump directly
to 3.0 (while leaving us room to issue 4 extra 2.XX releases if the
timeline turns out to be too aggressve after we got such an
agreement and 2.95 turns out to be premature).

You are saying that we'd skip 2.56 and jump directly to 3.0 at the
end of September?  I do not recall seeing any discussion, let alone
a concensus (rough or not) with such a short timeframe.