Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 0/4] support UTF-8 in alias names

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2026 10:17:01 -0800

Jonatan Holmgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> This series adds support for non-alphanumeric (including UTF-8)
> characters in alias names by allowing aliases to be defined using
> git-config's subsection syntax.
>
> Changes since v6:
> Reverted the --aliases-for-completion output format to
> use a newline as the field separator between name and value within
> each NUL-terminated record (name\nvalue\0). In v6 I changed this
> to use NUL for both separators, but this diverges from the
> convention established by git config -z, which outputs
> key\nvalue\0. Matching that convention is the right call here.

OK.  The key cannot have NUL nor LF in it, so either _should_ work,
and using LF in the context of -z somehow makes our eyes feel dirty,
but it is how "git config -z" chooses to work, so I agree that this
change makes sense.

Shall we mark this topic ready for 'next' now?

Will queue.  Thanks.