Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 01/10] doc: define unambiguous type mappings across C and Rust

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2025 08:42:15 -0800

Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This was discussed briefly in replies to v2’s 2/10, where
>> Ezekiel said that DEVELOPER=1 warned about sign issues whether
>> char was compared to int or unsigned. [From mobile I cannot
>> reliably paste the message ID or link and preserve a plain-text
>> email, apologies for the oblique reference.]
>
> Err... sorry, but I don't see how this comment relates to my
> email. puzzled! ;)

Me neither, but I suspect it may mostly use of non-word "signless"
that is the issue.  It is understandable for the -Wsign-compare
warning (especially given that it very often complains about
perfectly good pieces of code) to complain when you compare a "char"
with a signed integer, saying "on a platform where 'char' is
unsigned, you would be comparing signed and unsigned values with
this expression", and at the same time complain when you compare a
"char" with an unsigned integer, saying "on a platform where 'char'
is signed...".

I'd say it shows more about how garbage -Wsign-compare is than about
how 'char' is ambiguous and should be avoided, but others may have
different opinions.