Subject: Re: [PATCH] ls-files: conditionally leave index sparse

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2025 08:02:06 -0700

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 8/26/2025 12:40 PM, Derrick Stolee wrote:
>> On 8/15/2025 12:12 PM, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:
>>> From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
>> ...
>>> Replace this global check to expand the index with a check inside the
>>> loop for a matched sparse directory. If we see one, then expand the
>>> index and continue from the current location. This is safe since the
>>> previous entries in the index did not have any sparse directories and
>>> thus would remain stable in this expansion.
>> ...>     Here's a small sparse index performance update based on a user report.
>> 
>> I know this is small and somewhat niche, but it hasn't had any review
>> or been picked up in What's Cooking. Could someone please take a look?
>
> Thanks, Elijah and Junio for reviewing.
>
> By coincidence, a user reported an issue where the sparse index was
> expanded during "git mergetool" and it was due to a pathspec-focused
> ls-files subcommand. So maybe it's less niche than I had thought.

I do not speak for others who did not comment on the thread, but the
reason I did not act on the message was not because I found it niche
or insignificant.  I simply missed the single message in the sea of
other threads.

Queued.  Thanks for pinging.