Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 11/11] builtin/history: implement "split" subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2025 11:08:22 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Interesting. I can see using the original as the template for _both_,
>> or the first instead of the second. jj's split works a little
>> differently (especially with their notion of descriptions), so I can't
>> use them as a reference for the behavior.
>> 
>> I suppose this is one of those "everybody has their preference"
>> things, but I think giving the message in both new commits as the
>> template gives splitters the most information available when writing
>> the message. (Of course, in my editor, I can presumably do something
>> like ":Git show -s <split-commit-ish>" if I want.)

In other words, removing is easy, while remembering and retyping is
harder.

When I split an existing commit, that is almost always because after
doing too many things in a single commit and the time I realize it
is when I am writing the commit message.  So I would suggest to give
the same original message to both, to avoid losing information.