Subject: Re: [PATCH 9/9] t: add gitdir encoding tests

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2025 15:06:59 -0700

Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Add some tests to further exercise the gitdir encoding functionality
> alongside the existing mixed directory and nested gitdir tests.
>
> Signed-off-by: Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t7425-submodule-mixed-gitdir-paths.sh | 52 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 52 insertions(+)
>
> diff --git a/t/t7425-submodule-mixed-gitdir-paths.sh b/t/t7425-submodule-mixed-gitdir-paths.sh
> index 902b2560ca..cfdf487a56 100755
> --- a/t/t7425-submodule-mixed-gitdir-paths.sh
> +++ b/t/t7425-submodule-mixed-gitdir-paths.sh
> @@ -152,4 +152,56 @@ test_expect_success 'checkout -f --recurse-submodules must corectly handle neste
> ...
> +		longname=$(printf "%%%0.s" $(seq 1 $count)) &&

Use of 'seq' gets complaint from

    $ make -C t test-lint-shell-syntax

See the commit message of d17cf5f3 (tests: Introduce test_seq,
2012-08-04) and b32c7ec0 (test-lib: teach test_seq the -f option,
2025-06-23).  I think you should be able to do something like

	longname=$(test_seq -f "%%%0.s" 1 $count) &&

but I haven't even run the test with such a fix, so take it with a
grain of salt, please.