Subject: Re: Graphical tool to merge and reorder commits

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2025 11:34:21 -0700

"R. Diez" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is there some graphical tool to merge and reorder commits with the
> mouse? Or failing that, a good terminal interface with menus and
> the like which allows merging and reordering in an easy, visual
> fashion.
> ...
> I have tried or investigated numerous Git tools: git-gui, gitk,
> Gittyup, GitUI, GitButler, SourceGit, git-cola, Guitar, gitg, tig,
> giggle, qgit, RabbitVCS, Magit, lazygit, ... They are all fine for
> normal commits and the like. However, most fall short fairly
> quickly. For example, the ability to highlight character or
> word-based changes inside a text line is rare. And none of them
> really appealed to me when merging, let alone rearrange commits
> visually.

It would be a fun little project to write a GUI front-end that emits
"rebase -i" todo file and drives the interaction, if there is none
already (which your research seems to indicate).

Sounds like you found a good starter project for the next GSoC or
Outreachy students, I guess ;-)