Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 0/5] doc: git-rebase: clarify DESCRIPTION section

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 14:59:48 -0700

"Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

>  * move "You can also use git rebase to reorder or combine commits:" to the
>    beginning
>  * replace "detailed description" with "simplified description" -- I thought
>    that I could write something that was relatively readable and also
>    accurate, but as usual Git has proven me wrong :). I tried to leave in
>    the details that I think seem relevant to using git: for example git
>    checkout --detach is relevant because it explains why git reflog works
>    well after a rebase.
>  * replace the git switch with git checkout that I'd missed previously
>
> I didn't use the git log --cherry-pick option in the explanation because I
> had personally never heard of that option before today, and I don't want
> people to have to read the git log man page to be able to understand the
> explanation. I also left out --reapply-cherry-picks just because I don't
> understand the use case so I couldn't evaluate how likely it is to be
> relevant to the person reading.

I agree with the above decision to leave unnecessary implementation
details out, and I also agree with the decision to talk about
rebasing done on the detached HEAD.  I will find out if I agree with
the remainder of details that are kept (and left out) later by
reading the patches ;-)

Thanks.