Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] send-email: add ability to send a copy of sent emails to an IMAP folder

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 12:13:56 -0700

Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:

> +sendemail.imapfolder::

Do we expect that the use of IMAP in git-send-email will be limited
forever to store outgoing e-mails to the Sent folder?  I highly
doubt it.  For example, would it be plausible that given send-email
has so much richer feature set compared to imap-send, it would not
be implausible for users of imap-send that want to stuff messages,
with Cc's, threading, etc., all prepared by send-email, to their
outgoing folder.

And when somebody wants to add such a feature to "git send-email",
how would they find this variable that uses imap-send for quite a
different purpose squatting on its name?

Same comment for the --imap-folder command line option and the
internal variable(s) used to implement this feature.

These things should be named with words like "sent", "fcc", etc., to
clarify the use case this new feature is trying to support.

As imap-send is not part of my daily workflow, I have no strong
opinions for or against the proposed feature, and I didn't find
anything glaringly wrong in the implementation, other than the poor
naming that would block possible future enhancements.

Thanks.