Subject: Re: [PATCH] advice: suggest using subcommand "git config set"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2024 11:23:42 +0900

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yeah. Overall I think it is fine to do an iterative transition to the
> new interface. `git config set` is not going to be the only instance
> that needs changes, but I very much assume that we will have suggestions
> and warnings all over the place that may recommend other modes of the
> command like the equivalent of `git config get`. But these don't have to
> all happen in the same commit, or even the same patch series, from my
> point of view.
>
> Thanks for working on this!

Exactly.  We may have to keep both old and new (more explicit) ways
to spell the subcommand, and consistently using the new way in our
documentation pages and instruction given in advice messages is a
good thing, but it is more or less a clean-up effort we can do at
leisure ;-)  As long as we make sure we finish before we mark the
old way deprecated, it is perfectly fine.

Thanks.