Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-svn: mention `svn:global-ignores` in help+docs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2024 11:55:12 -0700

Alex Galvin <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2024-08-13 6:33 p.m., Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>> diff --git a/git-svn.perl b/git-svn.perl
>>> index a2a46608c9b..d8dc485e50d 100755
>>> --- a/git-svn.perl
>>> +++ b/git-svn.perl
>>> @@ -219,11 +219,11 @@ my %cmd = (
>>>   	                "Set an SVN repository to a git tree-ish",
>>>   			{ 'stdin' => \$_stdin, %cmt_opts, %fc_opts, } ],
>>>   	'create-ignore' => [ \&cmd_create_ignore,
>>> -			     'Create a .gitignore persvn:ignore',
>>> +			     "Create a .gitignore per directory with an SVN ignore property",
>> Hmph.  Is it intentional that this "create" side uses a single
>> property while ...
>> ... the other "show" side talks about "ignore properties" (plural),
>> implying that both svn:ignore and svn:global-ignores may get
>> involved?
>
> I was trying to be precise that the create command makes one .gitignore
> file in each directory it visits, regardless if that directory only has
> one of the attributes or both. Would using "any SVN ignore property"
> instead of "a SVN ignore property" make this clear?

You are creating a .gitignore file per each directory that has some
"ignore" properties on the subversion side, so I do not have any
trouble with "_a_ .gitignore" being singular in the description.

And you anticipate that each such directory has one or more [*]
svn:ignore or svn:global-ignores properties attached to it, and that
was why my reading hiccuped after seeing "with _an_ SVN ignore
property".

    Side note: * if there is 0 such properties given to the
    directory, you obviously do not muck with .gitignore file in the
    directory.

So I am not sure how much difference "any/a" before "SVN ignore
property" makes.

Thanks.