Subject: Re: [PATCH] csum-file: introduce discard_hashfile()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 07:41:14 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> There's other repeated cleanup happening here, like free(ieot) and
> strbuf_release(), which made wonder if we could bump it down to the
> cleanup label at the end of the function to simplify things. But
> probably not, as we are often doing that cleanup even in the non-error
> case. And of course the "sb" strbuf is local to a lot of blocks.

These localized and independent strbuf instances were indeed what
discouraged me from moving other clean-up to a central place.

> So even if we did want to do it, I think it would come as a separate
> patch. But mostly I wondered whether the label should be a more generic
> "cleanup" than "discard_hashfile". We could probably worry about that
> later, though, if that separate patch ever materializes.

Yup, I wobbled between a more generic "cleanup" and "hashfile is the
only thing that needs special clean-up right now", and it does show,
as you noticed, how the error code paths after calling finalize
looks like.

I think I'll rename the label to "cleaup".

Thanks.