Subject: Re: [PATCH] sparse: ignore warning from new glibc headers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 21:47:42 -0700

Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 17/07/2024 23:53, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [snip]
>> That's OK.  So in short, with a separate SP_EXTRA_FLAGS with "-Wno-vla",
>> Luc's patch is a sufficient fix without any downsides, no?
>> 
>
> Yes, assuming you're only concerned with 'make sparse' usage.

Is there anything else in the context of this project I should be
concerned with, wrt sparse and recent </usr/include/regex.h> that
uses vla in prototype parameters?

> BTW, I didn't expect it to take this long for this issue to come
> back to the list! I expected it to almost immediately cause
> problems with the sparse ci job, when the version of Ubuntu was
> updated to the LTS (now previous LTS!). So, I just found a simple
> solution for now (which turned into 2 years).

;-)

Thanks.  It really makes me appreciate whenever I learn that we are
blessed with project friends who are involved in many other projects
we rely on.