Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/2] format-patch: "--rfc=-(WIP)" appends to produce [PATCH (WIP)]

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 08:25:42 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not convinced this is a good idea as I'm not sure how adding "RFC"
> at the end of the subject prefix makes the world better than just
> having at the start of the prefix and I find using "-" to do that
> quite confusing.

I am not convinced it is a good idea, either.  "PATCH (WIP)" was the
best example I could come up with.  I am also a fan of "a list of
space separated labels or keywords" you mentioned, but *if* a
project convention somewhere is to have them before "PATCH", then it
is not entirely unreasonable to wish to have a way to prepend these
labels.

But I am fine to drop it for the sake of simplicity.  It would help
discourage users from trying to be "original" in a way that does not
make a material difference.  If a project comes with a concrete need
to prepend, the patch is always resurrectable from the list archive.

As to the syntax, I think "-" is a fairly good way to indicate
whether it goes to the front or back.  When told to "Combine '-RFC'
and 'PATCH'", I expect that most people would give 'PATCH-RFC' and
not '-RFC PATCH'.

Thanks.