Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/7] merge-ort: implement support for packing objects together

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:47:56 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> By factoring out a common
> "deflate object to pack" that takes an abstract bulk_checkin_source as a
> parameter, all of the earlier refactorings can be dropped since we
> retain only a single caller instead of multiple.

Ah, that is how we managed to lose the preparatory split of new
helper functions.  The names given to these functions that represent
steps of checkpointing were well thought out, and they served their
documentation purposes very well, but if they all have a single
caller, then that is fine ;-).

I _think_ I carefully followed the code/data flow of the new code to
see that we do identical things when streaming from a file to a pack
(in other words, this does not introduce regression), and nothing
objectionable stood out.  The order of presentation was a good way
to let readers to do so, and the actual "now we have everything
working as we want, let's teach the machinery to also read from an
in-core buffer" step being very small gives us extra confidence with
the result.  Very nicely done.