Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 6/6] common: move alloc macros to common.h

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 10:33:51 -0700

Calvin Wan <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Is this step mistitled?  There is no "common.h" in this round.
>
> Ahhhh my pre-vacation brain managed to correctly edit the commit
> message, but not the header
>
>> For that matter, when the series makes a big change like this round,
>> please update the cover letter so that those who are reading it
>> without having seen the prior rounds can understand what the series
>> is about.  It will equally help those who have seen prior rounds,
>> too. what is going on.  E.g. The cover letter of v1 emphasized why
>> moving many things to common.h was a great thing (and promised to
>> talk about it more in patch 3), but that focus certainly has shifted
>> in this iteration that no longer even creates "common.h", right?
>
> That's correct. I'll reroll this series with an updated cover letter
> and fixed commit header.

That will help others, but in the meantime I'll just tweak the
commit log message to say "to common.h" -> "to git-compat-util.h";
otherwise the series is ready for 'next', right?

THanks.