Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (May 2023, #03; Tue, 9)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 09:32:03 -0700

Teng Long <[email-masked]> writes:

>>* tl/notes-separator (2023-04-28) 6 commits
>>  (merged to 'next' on 2023-05-06 at 598ed19c9b)
>> + notes.c: introduce "--[no-]stripspace" option
>> + notes.c: append separator instead of insert by pos
>> + notes.c: introduce '--separator=<paragraph-break>' option
>
> Sorry, there is an updated optimization for the commit of the
> `--separator` option, which can be applied using the reply[1].
>
> Please also inform me if a new patch is needed and I will send
> it immediately.

Once a topic is in 'next', we update by queuing a new patch on top,
so [1] is not quite sufficient.

As to the "char *" -> "const char *", I didn't check if there are
places where we use the variable as "char *" and need changes other
than the place the variable is defined to prevent compilers from
complaining on type mismatches when I made the observation, out of
which you made the change.  In any case, "const char *" may be
safer, but the code as posted is not wrong per-se, and I do not see
it so urgent to fix.

The blank line also better sits between the decls and the first
statement, but I do not see it so urgent to fix with an immediate
patch, forging your sign-off and writing log message myself.  It
is something we can safely leave for a separate clean-up topic after
the dust settles.

Thanks.