Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Add support for mailmap in cat-file

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:18:47 -0700

Siddharth Asthana <[email-masked]> writes:

> So, this patch series adds mailmap support to the git cat-file command.
> It does that by adding --[no-]use-mailmap command line option to the
> git cat-file command. It also adds --[no-]mailmap option as an alias to
> --[no-]use-mailmap.

So does this kick in only with "git cat-file commit <object>" and
never with "git cat-file $type" for non-commit object types?  For a
payload like CREDITS file, people may want the blob contents
filtered by applying the mailmap, so limiting it to only commits may
or may not be the best idea.

How does/should this interact with "git cat-file -p"?

Does it also work with the batch mode?

For a single-request-single-answer invocation like "git cat-file
commit <object>", I think a "--[no-]use-mailmap" option is OK, but
for something like the batch mode, we may want a way to obtain both
the original and mapped name(s).  E.g. with this option in effect,
in addition to the "author" and "committer" headers of the commit,
the output may get a "mailmap-author" and "mailmap-committer" fake
headers that show the mapped idents.

Soliciting too many questions mean the cover letter is doing a good
job to pique interest from readers, and is not doing a good job to
explain adequately what it really does ;-)

Let's read on.