Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] run-command.h: rename "env_array" to "env"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 10:52:48 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Good thinking about the first batch after release. However, please do send
>> such cleanups really only after the release. The reason for the patch
>> slowdown is that we want to be able to focus on making a rock-solid
>> v2.36.0. This here patch series is very much a distraction at this point.
>
> OK.
>
> FWIW, I have it near the tip of 'seen', but if any fix that is more
> urgent than these changes need to be added to 'next' and down to
> 'master' makes the version queued no longer apply, I will drop it
> immediately, instead of spending cycles to figure out if it is worth
> resolving the conflict and requeuing it in 'seen' during the -rc
> period ;-)

To be fair, I actually do appreciate an early heads-up to warn
against other contributors to think twice before adding more uses of
the env-array and consider if a different approach without using the
env-array would result in better code.  It would have been better to
stress on such an early warning aspect of the series by marking the
series explicitly "not for application during -rc".

The true -rc freeze where nothing goes into 'next' (unless it is a
regression fix for this cycle) starts tomorrow at -rc1; I think I've
picked up everything relevant that have been posted in the past few
days.

Thanks.