Subject: Re: [PATCH] fetch --prune: exit with error if pruning fails

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:14:43 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am not so sure. When pruning failed, there may very well be directories
> or files in the way of fetching the refs as desired. And it might be even
> worse if pruning failed _without_ the fetch failing afterwards: the user
> specifically asked for stale refs to be cleaned up, the command succeeded,
> but did not do what the user asked for.
>
> Maybe Thomas has an even stronger argument in favor of erroring out. In
> any case, I don't think that `--prune` should be a "best effort, otherwise
> just shrug" option. If we wanted that, we could introduce
> `--prune-best-effort` or some such...

I am not opposed to reporting an error by exiting with non-zero exit
code.  I never said it should be best effort, and doing the "fetch" part
after a failed prune does not make it best effort.

What I am questioning is if it makes sense to stop the fetching
part.  When we fetch to update multiple refs, we do not stop at the
first ref-update failure, but try to do as much as possible and then
report an error, no?  It is the same thing.