Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/11] pack-bitmap-write.c: don't return without stop_progress()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 11:39:34 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> Looks good :) Just a note that this is in
> "ab/only-single-progress-at-once" already in case you didn't spot it.
>
> That series is marked for "next?" (with a question mark) by Junio in the
> latest what's cooking, so *hint* *hint* for any last minute review :)

I wonder if it would help contributors if we give them a simple rule
to follow before sending their patches out:

 - You develop on an appropriate base (either on maint, or master,
   or a merge of selected topics in flight you absolutely have to
   depend on) as usual.

 - You test merge the result to 'seen' and to 'next'.  If you do not
   get heavy conflicts and the tests pass, you are OK.

 - Otherwise, you study what is conflicting, and should review it
   before you submit your topic.

Without understanding what others are doing in the same area, it is
hard to make productive use of your time to develop new things, and
if you are reading others' work in the same area anyway, it would be
a minimum additional cost to write about what you learned in their
work.