Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: make COMPUTE_HEADER_DEPENDENCIES=auto work with DEVOPTS=pedantic

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:41:32 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 05:03:58PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > I almost suggested using "git.c" as the dummy file, since we know it
>> > must compile anyway. But that probably has other problems (it's more
>> > expensive, and if it _does_ have an error, the results may be
>> > confusing).
>> >
>> > It's a shame we can't just try to do the _real_ compiles using the
>> > auto-dependency stuff, and then fall back if they fail. But I think
>> > there's a chicken-and-egg problem there with "make" doing real work, and
>> > figuring out the dependencies to do real work.
>> 
>> Yeah, if compiling any of the real sources is inexpensive enough, I
>> would think that would be the happy way to go.  Do we have a trivial
>> source that almost never changes?  Perhaps version.c (especially if
>> we kick out two helper functions that do not really belong there)?
>
> Perhaps. TBH, I find Ævar's latest patch to just add -Wno-pedantic to be
> the simplest and most obviously-correct fix.

Yes, that is very much to-the-point.  If we have trouble with being
pedantic, forcing us not to be is a fine solution ;-)