Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/7] Drop support for git rebase --preserve-merges

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 11:27:40 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 01 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
>> writes:
>>
>>> In 427c3bd28ab (rebase: deprecate --preserve-merges, 2019-03-11) (which was
>>> included in v2.22.0), we officially deprecated the --preserve-merges
>>> backend. Over two years later, it is time to drop that backend, and here is
>>> a patch series that does just that.
>>
>> A good goal.  There is no remaining use case where (a fictitious and
>> properly working version of) "--preserve-merges" option cannot be
>> replaced by "--rebase-merges", is it?  I somehow had a feeling that
>> the other Johannes (sorry if it weren't you, j6t) had cases that the
>> former worked better, but perhaps I am mis-remembering things.
>
> Fair enough. To be clear I think this series is fine as-is, we've just
> usually done "now that this function is dead, rm it" as part of the
> series that makes it dead, so I figured fixups/squashes to change those
> parts would be welcome & integrated, likewise Alban Gruin's suggestions
> in <[email-masked]>.
>
> But the git-sh-i18n.sh change and/or his suggestions can be done after
> this lands...

I have this funny feeling that the "Fair enough" is thrown at a
comment that you didn't intend to ;-)