Subject: Re: [PATCH] help: colorize man pages

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 08:32:19 +0900

Igor Djordjevic <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> If I may, NO_COLOR approach seems to be rather straightforward to me, 
> as per description on their homepage[1] - make all software supporting 
> it behave as colors are an opt-in feature, thus disabled by default.

Yes, that is correct and this was discussed already in detail a few
days ago.  You can start from here:

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

and read two or three messages.

Note that you probably want to take generic NO_COLOR support
(i.e. teaching the "now we know the user wants the 'default'
behaviour by not having an explicit 'yes/no'; do we want to color
the output?" helper function to pay attention to the environment
variable) as taken by somebody already:

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks.