Subject: Re: [PATCH 04/30] subtree: t7900: use consistent formatting

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:17:38 +0900

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +check_equal () {
>>         test_debug 'echo'
>>         test_debug "echo \"check a:\" \"{$1}\""
>>         test_debug "echo \"      b:\" \"{$2}\""
>> -       if [ "$1" = "$2" ]; then
>> +       if [ "$1" = "$2" ]
>> +       then
>
> We prefer `test` over `[`, so it might make sense to update that, as
> well, along with these other style cleanups.

If I were working on this, I wouldn't bother.

As far as I am concerned, contrib/subtree has always been treated as
a borrowed code [*] that is written in a dialect of shell that is
different from what our scripts are written in, and there are too
many style differences (I wouldn't call them violations---nobody has
expected the code there to follow our style, or attempted to enforce
our style there) to bother coercing.

If Luke is volunteering to take over its maintainership, it would be
appreciated by its users.  It has been in the "abandonware" status
for too long.

[Footnote]

* ... as opposed to a properly maintained part of the git-core
  proper.