Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] doc: `--date` in `git-commit` accepts approxidates

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 11:34:36 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 06:52:02PM +0000, Utku Gultopu via GitGitGadget wrote:
>
>> +ifdef::git-commit[]
>> +In addition to recognizing all date formats above, the `--date` option
>> +will also try to make sense of other, more human-centric date formats,
>> +such as relative dates like "yesterday" or "last Friday at noon". For
>> +further details on what kind of formats are accepted, please refer to
>> +the `approxidate_careful` function in `date.c` file in Git source code.
>> +endif::git-commit[]
>
> OK. This is still referring to `approxidate_careful`, which may not be
> meaningful to most users. But at least it makes a best effort at a
> hand-waving definition before then. :)
>
> I'd probably omit the final sentence entirely (as it may simply confuse
> people who don't know how to find Git's source), but I'm OK with it
> either way.

I am not happy with reference to approxidate_careful that has no
place in end-user facing documentation.  I think the one you
suggested struck a better balance.