Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 07/14] checkout: split into switch-branch and restore-files

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 11:25:55 +0900

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:43 PM Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > > > +--ours::
>> > > > +--theirs::
>> ...
>> go away.  Maybe it can still be fixed (I haven't dug too deeply into
>> it), but if so, the only fix needed here would be to remove this long
>> explanation about why the tool gets things totally backward.
>
> Aha. I' not really deep in this merge business to know if stages 2 and
> 3 can be swapped. This is right up your alley. I'll just leave it to
> you.

Please don't show stage#2 and stage#3 swapped to the end user,
unless that is protected behind an option (not per-repo config).
It is pretty much ingrained that stage#2 is what came from the
commit that will become the first parent of the commit being
prepared, and changing it without an explicit command line option
will break tools.

> I'm actually still not sure how to move it here (I guess 'here' is
> restore-files since we won't move HEAD). All the --mixed, --merge and
> --hard are confusing. But maybe we could just make 'git restore-files
> --from HEAD -f :/" behave just like "git reset --hard HEAD" (but with
> some safety net) But we can leave it for discussion in the next round.

Perhaps you two should pay a bit closer attention to what Thomas
Gummerer is working on.  I've touched above in my earlier comments,
too, e.g.  <[email-masked]>